Monday, April 21, 2008

First Year

As my first year of college draws to a close, I have began reflecting on the happenings of the past year. It's hard to believe that it went by this fast.
It seems like just yesterday, that I was loading my dad's truck with all of my belongings, scared out of my mind because I didn't know what to expect. The trip to Lincoln was only my second time driving on the interstate. I followed behind my dad's truck, and I was extremely nervous driving at such a high speed compared to what I was used to.
When we pulled in to unload, random people started grabbing my stuff and began carrying it upstairs. I just kind of stood there, wondering what the room was going to be like. I hoped that my roommate would be nice and be someone I could develop a friendship with.
My mom and I grabbed the last of my things and headed up to the room, while my dad moved the car out of the fire lane. As we walked up the stairs, I was getting a little nervous because I wasn't sure what to expect. As we entered my room we were greeted by my roommate, Kaitlyn, and her parents. They seemed like really nice people and I was excited to get to know them. Our parents hit it off right away. Kaitlyn and I let them do all of the talking at first.
Once we had unpacked everything, gone to lunch, and done the whole matriculation thing. Our parents left, and then it was just the two of us.
We spent the entire night talking. We had so much in common. We talked about everything, theatre, boys, high school, friends and so much more. I instantly knew that this is someone that I could become really good friends with.
And it grew from there. It has been a really tough year for me and she has been there for me the entire time. When I lost my grandpa, aunt and uncle she was there to comfort me. When I just needed to vent, she listened. I feel now that I can tell her anything. We have so many inside jokes that most other people don't understand. In our meetings of the eleven thirty club, as we call them, I am usually laughing so hard that I am crying. I now consider her one of my best friends.
I have had a wonderful first year of college. I have had so many wonderful opportunities with music. I have grown as a musician and as a person. And I have made some of my very best friends that I know I will have for the rest of my life. What more can someone ask for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post prompted my reflection of this last year. Overall, I think this year went well, though it seemed to fly by. Maybe that's just me though. Personally, I knew who my roommate was going to be from the beginning, which eliminated some of the stress on the first day of school. However, everyone at our high school thought Kara and I would end up hating each other after the first week. Luckily we got along and neither of us tried to kill the other. All in all, a positive ending I think. I'm glad you got lucky with your roommate!